It's about that time for another one of Charleston's great events! This post is all about SEWE - Southeastern Wildlife Exposition.
Set over a timespan of 3 days in February of each year, SEWE encompasses everything relating to wildlife and nature from fine art exhibits, conservation education, sporting demonstrations and even parties. This year SEWE will be taking over downtown Charleston February 17, 18 and 19.
The best way to do SEWE is with a VIP ticket package. While most events are open to General Admission, there are two events that are exclusive to VIP Benefactors.
The first is the Preview Gala & Sale. The Gala takes place in the ballroom of one of our favorite hotels - The Charleston Belmond Place. The Gala is a black-tie event that features a visit from exotic animals, live auction, wild fare and an open bar. It is the perfect chance to mix and mingle with other VIPs as well as meet SEWE artists in the Fine Art Gallery at the Charleston Place. The Gala takes place the Thursday evening before SEWE begins, this year on the 16th.
The second event is the SEWE Soiree. The Soiree is much more casual ((perfect for boots and jeans)) and takes place in the open air Visitor Center Bus Shed. The Soiree is a blast with a live band, local oysters, barbeque and wild game, dancing and an open bar. It is hosted the Saturday evening of SEWE, this year on the 18th.
In addition to the two private events, VIP Benefactors also receive:
- Private viewing hours
- Reserved seating at all Gaillard Center presentations
- Access to all VIP lounges
- Priority entry to all SEWE exhibits/programs
- VIP shuttle
- Signed 2017 poster
If you are not able to go to the private events, but still want to attend SEWE, there are general admission tickets available. The general admission tickets will give you access to all of the events that take place from 10 am - 6 pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Some of my favorite events to see are:
- Dockdogs competitions - at Brittlebank Park, watch all kinds of dogs take place in various water jumping competitions in side by side tanks. The finals are hosted Sunday afternoon - so much fun, and kids love it too!
- Birds of Prey flight demos - at Marion Square, see flight demos by a variety of raptors including falcons, eagles, owls and hawks.
- Busch Wildlife Sanctuary Show - at the Gaillard Center, get an up close look at alligators, bobcats, foxes, birds of prey, snakes and much more. Seating is first-come, first-served so get there early.
- Chef Demos - at Marion Square, throughout the event various Chef's demonstrate how to make some of their favorite recipes with SC grown and produced ingredients.
- Quick Draw/Speed Sculpt and Auction - at Charleston Place, witness first-hand the talent and process behind SEWE artists. They paint or sculpt original pieces from start to finish in just one hour. A live auction is held at 5 p.m. sharp for attendees to bid on the one of a kind art.
Photos courtesy of SEWE
Every year in February, downtown Charleston is taken over by the Southeastern Wildlife Exposition. It is such a unique event, and we hope to see some of you there! If you are interested in a hotel or ticket package please feel free to reach out to me at email@example.com for assistance.
Until next time,