As summer draws to a close, it also means that one of our favorite pastimes must come to an end as well. But not quite yet! This week is your last chance to go enjoy one of our favorite #luxelistapproved events, The Charleston RiverDogs Baseball games!
The Lowcountry is home to minor-league class A RiverDogs who are an affiliate of the New York Yankees. The name originates from a local urban legend that sailors would see rats on the banks of the Cooper and Ashley Rivers and call them "River Dogs". The RiverDogs play at the Joseph P. Riley Jr park, locally known as "The Joe". Fun fact - Bill Murray is part owner and can often be seen at the games!
While Charleston might not be known for it's baseball, it sure is known for its food and the food at Joe Riley Stadium does not disappoint! Below we will list some of our favorite eats and treats not to be missed!
- Smoking Joe's - BBQ and Baseball, perfect combination. At Smoking Joe's you can find menu items that range from burnt end brisket sandwiches to spicy chicken ramen. My go-to's are the pork rinds topped with pulled pork and doused in BBQ sauce - you won't regret it!
- Dog World - Make sure to walk all the way around the stadium to find this gem. This stand sells hot dogs unlike any other. Local favorites are the: RiverDog, Homewrecker, the Yankee Dog and the Kimchi Dog - collard greens, kimchi, peppers and sesame seeds on top of a hot dog topped off with a garlic siracha sauce ((yum!)).
- Wacko Taco - You can find perfect ballpark tacos here along with my favorite - kitchen sink nachos.. Everything but the kitchen sink! Be sure to try the low country taco - pork, collards and mac n cheese topped with BBQ sauce.
- Pie House - the sell pizza, yes, but the best part of the pie house are their Spiked. Beer. Shakes. Maybe you are in the mood for a Shock Top Creamsicle Beer Shake or maybe a Firefly Caramel Moonshine Spiked Shake? There really is no wrong choice.
The RiverDogs also host special events nights at The Joe, including:
- Dog Days - bring your dog to the Joe
- Thirsty Thursdays
- Red Shirt and Fireworks Fridays
- Service Industry Nights
- Nurses Night
- Kid's Club
- Military Family's Day
The RiverDogs at Joe Riley Park have become a local tradition here in Charleston. At any given game you will see anything from birthday parties, corporate events or bachelor parties to local celebrities. This week wraps up the 2016 season so be sure to check them out, or plan on coming to enjoy a game next year!
If you are interested in booking a vacation to Charleston please feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com
Until next time,